Vaginal dryness means lack of moisture in vagina. It creates many problems in sexual activities. It makes the sexual intercourse very painful and very less pleasurable. There are itching and burning sensation while suffering from vaginal dryness and you can first notice it during intercourse. However the common cause for this is menopause but apart from this there are also some other reasons for vaginal dryness. In order to get proper treatment of vaginal dryness you will have to determine the exact reason. Below are the various causes and treatment of vaginal dryness that can help you to prevent from it and treat your problem.
Changes In Hormones
Hormones play an important role to create dryness in vagina. The main reason for vaginal dryness is decrease of estrogen level in women. The estrogen level go down in women due to various reason including
Allergy and cold medications containing antihistamines as well as asthma medications can have a drying effect inside the body and cause reduced vaginal lubrication.Medication during treatment of cancer including chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
* Vaginal bacterial infection.
* Sexually transmitted disease (STDs)
* Diabetes, Depression and trauma
* Sexual assault and abuse
* Using infertility drugs, Harsh dying soaps and perfumes
In some cases, vaginal dryness may be caused by a low libido or sexual problems with a partner. “If a partner has poor performance and early ejaculation, it can contribute to vaginal dryness,” says
Psychological and emotional factors such as stress and anxiety can also wreak havoc on sexual desire and lead to vaginal dryness when normal vaginal lubrication does not occur. “When a woman is anxious there is insufficient blood flow,”
Some Other causes are given Below:
- Wear Cotton panties. Proper air circulation will ease the problem.
- Try to avoid soap. Still if you want to use soap use good quality soap without any scent. Perfumed soap or shampoo can increase your problem.
- Use powder of perfume in such a way that it do not come in contact with your vaginal area.
- You can use vitamin E oil.
- You can use lubricant say K-Y Jelly. It will also make your sexual intercourse less painful.
- Moisturizer can also play a vital role. Single application will decrease the dryness for up to three days.
Also Read: All Vaginal Problem
- If self-care methods do not correct your problem you should take medication under consultation of doctor.
- If the problem exists due to low level of estrogen you doctor may advise you to go for vaginal estrogen therapy.
- If the problem occurs due to some other reasons other than menopause, your doctor can suggest you a higher dose of estrogen ring, estrogen pill or patches.
Your treating specialist may ask you some personal questions e.g., rape, sexual abuse or domestic violence etc. You should answer these questions honestly to your doctor that may be very helpful to provide you correct treatment. In such a case all the information is kept confidential. After physical examination and sexual counseling the treating specialist may recommend for some laboratory test and subsequently starts treatment which involves review of medication and over-the-counter drug.